Sunday, May 22, 2016

Pursuing Galleries & dealing with rejections

Being rejected as an artist hurts no matter how many times you get rejected. I don't think that anyone really gets used to it but I also think that it makes us really look at our art. I know it always makes me work harder and more determined to find that perfect gallery out there that is interested in oriental brush paintings.

My file of rejection letters from galleries is growing!!! Just last week I added one more to the list.  I did contact the gallery owner to see if there was anything that I could have done to make a difference in their representation.  Was it the prices, the quality of my art, the quality of the images??? Their response was that they can't take on more artist at this time. I appreciated the fact that they answered my questions.

I look at the rejections as a business decision rather than a personal one.  Galleries have to represent the artist that they think they can sell their art.  They have a business to run and support as well as an artist and I get that!!

I would like to just pass on to the many artist out there that have a large file of rejection letters as I do to keep on making your art.  Believe in yourself and others will start to believe in you also.
I paint my oriental brush paintings for myself, not for juries, or galleries.  I paint what I love.

So the search for gallery representation goes on!!!
www.darlenekaplan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment